Saturday, April 19, 2014

Los Reyes - Austin

Before I start, I have to tell you that I have eaten at Los Reyes in Cedar Park and on that occasion the food was good and the atmosphere was also very good however, the prices were a bit on the high side I thought.

Larry got a 'Living Social' coupon for Los Reyes in Austin, though in fact it is just south of Cedar Park, so not really that far from us. On 183 just south of Lake Creek Parkway, in the strip mall where the HEB used to be.

Their prices were still way too high, even with the coupon, it was most definitely not value for money.

We started with salsa, queso and chips. The small queso was $3.75. it looked like custard and tasted like milk, even after we mixed in some of the spicy salsa, it was still not at all good.



We have learned from experience to ask if they chill their red wine before ordering. I can't drink chilled red wine and most Mexican restaurants do store it in the cooler. Sure enough it was chilled so I had a beer. Larry had his usual frozen margarita and Mildred had water.

Fajitas - $11.99



For her entree, Mildred ordered beef fajitas, which didn't look very good, and she said the meat was tough and tasteless.







Deluxe plate - $13.95
I had the 'Deluxe Plate'. Grilled chicken breast with grilled shrimp, rice, beans, pico de gallo & guacamole. The chicken had been beaten flat and looked and tasted like it had been cooked the day before and warmed up before serving. The shrimp were extremely tough, so I am guessing they were also reheated and the pico was extremely tired looking and tasteless.I ate a couple of shrimp but they were not good and I had a small piece of the chicken, also quite unpleasant. Sad to say the only thing on my plate that was in any way edible was the rice, and I don't much like rice.



Carne Asada 10.95

Larry had carne asada and was happy with his choice, although I thought it look most unappetizing, he said it tasted good.








dusty dirty window ledge

The service was quick and our server was very efficient. To be honest, I would have preferred to wait longer for better food. Had the food been good I might have been able to overlook the decor, but unable to eat, I had time to look around. I was seated by the window and the wood blinds were dusty and dirty, there were scraps of torn napkin and dead flies on the window ledge.



One example of the ceiling 



The ceiling was mottled with brown rings where water had leaked through and the rest of the decor was standard Mexican restaurant.






Larry tells me I am too fussy, but I believe that if I am paying almost $14 for a meal, I want to be able to eat at least half of it, and I would like if the smell of the meal was not offensive. It is also nice to be able to eat in relatively clean surroundings. I worry that if they don't clean the areas the customers can see, how clean are the areas we can't see, like the kitchen?



No comments:

Post a Comment