Tuesday, May 6, 2014

What a beautiful vegetable!

This vegetable is so beautiful I just had to try it.


It is a carnival squash.  So, I researched online and established in my own mind that my husband would definitely not like it. Oh, he would try it, because he will always be prepared to try anything once.  But it appeared to be too sweet for his taste.  The only hope I had was to add bacon

So, I cut the squash in half, removed the seeds, set face down in an oven safe dish with a quarter a cup of water, in an oven for 25 mnutes - at 400 F.  allow to cool, then scoop out the flesh, mash with a fork with butter and bacon bits, then cover with a light coating of parmesan cheese and bake in the oven.

My wonderful mother in law did help herself to a very small spoonful, never would she offend me, but she did try it.

It was still pretty, but no longer beautiful.  It was still way too sweet for a dinner item.  Next time I think I will treat it like pumpkin pie.  Brown sugar, marshmallow, cinnamon and perhaps a hint of brandy or rum.. yes, I will try that next.

the finished dish



No comments:

Post a Comment